All about the babies and a little more! The days are long but the years are short.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Time doesn't fly cos it's trapped in a rocket!

Last year around this time my parents were here and I had just had a baby. Life had taken a new twist. Challenged by parenthood and living in a foreign and stranged land that had four seasons I thought there wasn't much to look forward to.

Today... I feel like with my little family I have come a long way. We have been living all by ourselves with no help since may. the baby has been doing fine Masha Allah... my cooking has greatly improved... we are comfortable hosting large gatherings, having overnight guests with no fuss, and even making long road trips with a baby and her elderly great grandma and I feel like I''ve achieved much more in the past few months than ever before. When my parents and brother left me here and went back I felt as though my whole world had fallen part but thank fully with bru and little J and the help of the Almighty we have made it a long way...  and as they say "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step!"

Here is the note I wrote to my family after they left: 

To a Very Dear Family

 

Six months ago on a cold winter Friday afternoon, you entered this house to be welcomed by our cheer and biriyani from the mosque. The house was colourful and full of life and sound, but today it is bear with a deafening silence that I cannot explain in words.

 

The kitchen is empty and your bedroom is gloomy with the blinds drawn down. Mum has not only taught me to do things efficiently and economically but also prepared food for the next week or two until I adjust into the loneliness. I have never missed home so much before. Izada aunty left me a kind note on skype and then called later to check on us. Ahsen was there sharing his many words of wisdom with me. Shafi periappa chatted with me till late night. Barushan and Jannah were around with me always. Fea datha reassured me saying that I will meet them soon and yeah with each day I will get closer to seeing you all again Insha Allah. Even umama called from Sri Lanka and advised us. All this made the pain easier. But it will never completely go away. A comfortable life with all needed facilities, the pool, the gym, the flowers and green of the garden - but none of that can replace the joy that only family brings. I will be so lonely now… Just Jannah and I in the mornings. She is sleeping in her crib right now as I type this and I fear to leave her alone to go shower as there is now no one that would run to her the moment she makes a twist or turn. Dada, I am greatly indebted to you, to the kindness you have shown and the lessons you have thought me during the stay here. You even made tea, barushan's breakfats and washed dishes which was much much more than what a dad should be doing. Mama and dada thanks for helping me to fill Jannah's Sri Lankan citizenship form and get everything in order. We decided that we will send it next week Insha Allah in case we want to travel during the weekend and may need our passports.  Aadil, the vacuum cleaner and stationery remind me of you. Should I mention the TV also? I don't even feel like watching it without you around. Thanks so much for helping with throwing out the garbage, washing the bathrooms and carrying the stroller and car seat in and out all the time everywhere we went. I hope you will take good care of mum, dad and yourself as you are the only one there with them now. Don't let mum and dad worry over you. I know you are going through a difficult period in your life. Trust me, it will go away soon. There are a million more things that you all have done for me and one mail cannot cover it all…!

Ashen, as you close your eyes in a land faraway dealing with the everyday campus issues, books and exams I'm wishing that all of us will be able to meet soon Insha Allah. Growing up together and being so faraway from one another is hard. Hope the parcel with goodies made its way without much of a problem. We were kind of worried that it may have got lost because of the small mistake in the address. Although you were not here with us, your turn wont be very faraway. Your presence was very much felt everyday thanks to msn and chat on your phone. 

Again, dear family your kindness has meant so much to me in the past half year. I am sorry if I have hurt or wronged you all in anyway. Sometimes it's when we part that we realize how much we take for granted. Here's thanking you all…! It's time now for me to sale on with this little family of mine. We will be ok Don't worry. It can't be rocket science. Everyone does it. But yeah… we'll manage somehow. As I take to my flight with my new wings, please pray that Allah will help us all through the journey and when we meet again Insha Allah let's rock as we always do!

Salaams

Aashika

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home