All about the babies and a little more! The days are long but the years are short.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Is TV good for your toddler?

http://www.babycenter.com/0_tv-watching-guidelines-for-toddlers_11746.bc?scid=mbtw_post11m_1w:1164&pe=MlV5b1JmdXwyMDExMDYyNw..

At 15 months we decided no more TV for our daughter who is now 3 and a half. It was a tough decision because it meant we sacrificed our TV time too. We got a phone and internet connection but no cable TV. We decided to spend the savings on books and educational toys for her which is why we have too many toys at home.

My daughter loves to play games on sesamestreet.com and pbskids.com. Unlike casper the friendly ghost these are pretty productive tools that we can use for her. However I find myself having to fight her every time she needs to stop. We try to limit her computer usage to about 3 to 4 hours a week. Usually she would have to be good to earn her video or game time. Sometimes I am guilty of letting her play over time if I am held up with some work. However, I make it a point to reduce the next time and compensate with some story reading, hide and seek or just playing with her cookery set or doll house.

The boy so far shows no interest except for closing the laptop when I have to use it. So as annoying as that may be I am glad that he is still not a tv addict and hoping that I could implement the same rules for him.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home